Very dense carrot cake recipe! Great way to use up extra carrots in the fridge in this healthy carrot cake. I tried to make this recipe somewhat healthy for being a cake by adding apple sauce and unsweetened coconut flakes. Makes a 9×13 baking dish.
This post may contain affiliate links. This means if you click on a link and purchase something, I may earn a small commission from it.
Carrot Cake Icing:
I used a vegan cream cheese frosting recipe for the topping. I ran out of cream cheese so I had to find a vegan recipe. The link to the frosting recipe is here. You can use any frosting recipe you want though! Buttercream would taste great too!
Tips for making healthy cake:
- grate carrots finely-sometimes while making this, I feel that my carrots are grated too long. A food processor would help cut down on the length, and would leave your dessert not feeling like eating strings of carrots with frosting
- omit coconut flakes-if you do not have coconut flakes, you can use more grated carrots instead
Favorite ingredient brands to use for this cake recipe:
*baking soda-Arm & Hammer
*baking powder-Clabber Girl
*spices and vanilla-McCormick
*unsweetened apple sauce-Mott’s
*sugars-C&H Cane Sugar
*coconut flakes-Market Pantry
Overview of how to make easy carrot cake:
- stir together dry ingredients
- beat together wet ingredients, then stir in carrots and cocoanut flakes.
- combine wet and dry ingredients, then pour into a sprayed 9 x 13 baking dish. Bake. Serve with or without frosting.
How to store homemade carrot cake:
- fridge-store this cake with frosting in an air tight container in the refrigerator for up to one week
- freezer-I have not tried freezing this recipe. If you would like to try it, go for it! Let me know how it goes.
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp of spices: cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and salt
- 1 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- dash vanilla
- 2 cup grated carrots
- 1/2 cup coconut flakes
- In a medium sized bowl, stir together flour, baking soda, and baking powder, along with the spices. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together the apple sauce, eggs, white sugar, brown sugar, and vanilla for 1 minute. Then add in the carrots and coconut flakes. Stir until well combined.
- Pour the flour mixture into the apple sauce mixture, and stir.
- Spray a 9x13 baking dish. Dump batter into baking dish. Bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Place on a wire rack to cool. Spread your favorite frosting on top. Serve.
All information presented on this site is intended for informational purposes only. Nutritional facts listed are a rough estimate and should only be followed as a general idea.